Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"And your books will be due..."

When's the last time you saw one of those in a library book?? It's been over a decade since I've gotten a due date stamped in a library book, but that's how they do things here in Hawaii. At first I thought it was extremely old-school. But the more I thought about it, I realized it's genius. They still scan the books' barcodes into the computer, but they stamp your books instead of printing out a receipt with the due date. This is great for two reasons:
a) It saves tons of paper. Think how many trees are used to make paper for library receipts that most people don't even use? And then that paper goes into the trash, which adds to the already packed landfills. Obviously one reciept in a bag of trash doesn't make a difference, but imagine how many bags would be filled if you combined all the thrown-away library receipts in America in one year!
b) Printed receipts are easy to lose. I often used to end up checking my online account to see when my books were due because I'd misplaced or accidentally tossed the receipt. This way, you always know exactly when your book is due because the date is right inside the cover.
Not many of Hawaii's policies seem to be things other states would want to emulate (Furlough Fridays for example!), but I think this is an excellent idea. I wonder why libraries moved away from date-stamping in the first place?

And here's a picture I just snapped of Conan, lounging with his newest toy. I hate taking his picture with the flash because it always makes his eyes look weird. I wish photo editing programs would come with a pet-eye feature similar to the red-eye feature for humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment