Friday, April 2, 2010

Ponderings on a Gorgeous Dress


I was watching a Netflix rental, "An Education," the other night and actually had to pause the movie and take a picture of this dress because I loved it so much. The movie was set in the '60s and the characters always got dressed up to go out to a show or party or a nightclub. I don't have any complaints about wearing my favorite pair of jeans wherever I want, but how come we stopped wearing fancy dresses and "dressing up" to go out? I saw a news story yesterday about a restaurant in Darwin, Australia, that is going to charge every patron wearing flip-flips $10. Apparently Dawin is considered the most laid-back city in Australia and the restaurant owner wants to change that image and "class up" his town. I LOVELOVELOVE wearing flip-flops, but in a way I can see where he's coming from. It seems like our clothes have gotten more and more casual (sloppy?) as the decades have gone by; a "casual" outfit in the '50s or '60s is miles different from the "casual" outfit of today, which might consist of some yoga pants, a t-shirt and flip-flops. Is this a bad thing? I'm not sure. But I AM sure that I love this dress!


And here's an adorable picture of Conan. You can see that we got new pillows for the sofa and loveseat. I wonder how long it'll be before these are covered in dog fur? Conan is so funny, the way he lays on pillows like a person would. I think it's a boxer thing. Or maybe boxer parents are just more likely to let their furry children up on the furniture...

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I love dresses. I would wear them all the time if it weren't so darn cold. And I personally detest when someone goes out to the grocery store wearing pajama pants, I mean how long does it take to put on a pair of jeans?

    ReplyDelete