Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hot Slaw Amazingness


This weekend, Jarrod introduced me to a delicious Southern condiment called hot slaw. It's definitely still coleslaw, but it's very different from all other coleslaws I've had. (Which isn't many, since I'm not usually a coleslaw fan.) This slaw contains quite a list of ingredients: bagged coleslaw mix, green bell pepper, onion, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce, sugar, cider vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Jarrod put slaw on his brats, and I mounded some atop my Boca Burger. YUM! Last night we had burgers again, and I dressed mine with melted colby cheese, tomato, lettuce, bacon and lots of slaw, and it was amazing.
The flavor of the slaw is really unique... it's unexpectedly sweet, but with a kick. I would describe the taste as multi-dimensional. If you'd care to view the recipe we worked off of (with a few modifications), go to http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/salad_mustardslaw.shtml. Jarrod said it didn't produce the exact look or taste of the slaw he's used to, but we agreed that the end result was pretty darn good.
P.S. Sorry the brat picture is vertical instead of horizontal. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to rotate, even after saving it as a whole new file. Sometimes I just don't understand computers!

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay and Jarrod,

    The slaw looks great. Yum, maybe you can make it for us when we come. We know you are both great cooks and looking forward to trying all the yummies!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete