Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Man-o-wars!

Ever since I stumbled upon my first one at Navarre Beach, I've been fascinated by Portuguese man-o-wars. They're so bright and colorful and interesting-looking, but so dangerous! Here are a few pictures of a little man-o-war we saw on the North Shore yesterday:

The clear bubble part sits on top of the water while the stinging tentacles (or whatever you'd call them) dangle down. Man-o-wars are different from jellyfish because they have no way to propel themselves through the water -- they just go where the waves take them. The very first man-o-war I saw (pictured below) was the biggest one I've seen yet. It's body was about a foot long and the tentacles stretched five or six feet! (Look at that white shell for perspective.)

1 comment:

  1. You're right. Such pretty colors on them, but so dangerous. Wouldn't want to get stung by one.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete