Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hiking with Hawaiian Christmas trees

Jarrod and I recently hiked the Aiea Loop trail. While it wasn't my favorite hike on Oahu, it was very enjoyable and the view of H-3 (a highway that spans the Ko'olau mountain range and connects the east and west sides of the island) was stunning. There weren't a ton of flowers to look at on this hike, but we did see plenty of what we generally refer to as "those weird Hawaiian pine trees." They're actually called Norfolk pines (after their native land of Norfolk Island in the Pacific Ocean) and there's actually a farm on Oahu that sells them as Christmas trees!

1 comment:

  1. Is the trail to Sacred Falls still open? I fell off a cliff there when I was 10... thank God there was a tree about 8 feet down that stopped me!

    ReplyDelete