Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Boiled P-Nuts






Until I started dating Jarrod, I'd never really sampled much authentic Southern cooking. Some things didn't agree with my tongue, like collard greens. Yuck! But two Southern foods I fell in love with are fried okra and boiled peanuts. In case you don't know what a boiled peanut is, it's an extremely delicious, extremely high-sodium, extremely non-nutritious snack created by simmering raw peanuts in *very* salty water for several hours. (You can also add other spices -- I've seen Cajun and garlic flavors sold on the side of the road -- but Jarrod typically sticks with just salt.) This gives the peanuts a delightful firm-but-mushy consistency and a very unique flavor. Even Conan loves them! There is one thing I don't like about boiled peanuts though: they're totally addicting and there is absolutely no way you can eat just one!

1 comment: